A teacher at a local school noticed that a child’s backpack was dripping as he walked down the hall. When she opened it up, she found several unfinished milk cartons. The child had taken the unwanted milk from his classmates trays because he didn’t get any at home.
This story inspired Mary Leary and Helen Phillips to form Lovepacks with the help of school counselor Linda Vaughn at Bramlett Elementary in 2010. What started with 10 packs coming out of their own kitchens has grown to an astounding 160 packs a week, with the help of Alyce Krouse and Camille Bianco. The four boardmembers received nonprofit status in 2012, and the service has expanded to the eleven schools in the Oxford/Lafayette school district. As of Fall 2014, we have distributed over 15,000 Lovepacks to schools in Lafayette County.
LOVEPACKS MISSION STATEMENT
We can beat hunger! In the future, we hope to be able to help as many children as are in real distress. We can do this if the community, the churches, and the civic organizations support the Lovepacks program. The possibilities are only limited by our compassion. If everyone who has a little to give will do what they can, we can see that no child in the Oxford community has to go hungry!
How do the kids get the Lovepacks?
- The packs are discreetly slipped into the children’s backpack on Friday before they leave for home.
Who receives the Lovepacks?
- The teachers and counselors work together to determine who receives a Lovepack.
What is in a Lovepack?
- Non-perishable, kid-friendly food:
- Pop Top cans of Chicken Noodle or Vegetable Soup
- Pop-Top cans of Ravioli
- Peanut Butter Crackers
- Cheese Crackers
- Saltine Crackers
- 16 oz. Jar of Peanut Butter
- Non refrigerated Pudding
- Granola, Breakfast, or Protein bars
- Pop Top cans of Beanie Weenies
- As the name suggests, a lot of love!
What schools do we serve?
- Bramlett Elementary School
- Della Davidson Elementary School
- Lafayette Lower Elementary School
- Lafayette Upper Elementary School
- Lafayette Middle School
- Lafayette High School
- Oxford Elementary School
- Oxford Middle School
- Oxford High School
- Oxford Intermediate School
- Learning Center